小北的不老歌

Law School Admission Series – Online Resources

In this installment of my law school admissions series, I am listing below some online resources that I have found useful in the past year. Hopefully they will continue to be helpful to the applicants in the 05-06 cycle, which will start soon.

Before we start, I highly recommend the site JD2B (http://www.jd2b.com). Check out the long list of links to the right of the page. Pretty much everything I give below is also listed there, and then some. So my list below just serves as highlights and a container for some personal rambling.

  • LSAC: http://www.lsac.org/

    If you have signed up for the LSAT you know this website. But not everyone has utilized this website to the fullest extent. I have found the sections “Official Guide to ABA Approved Law Schools” and “LSAC Data” highly valuable. For example, this page calculates for you your target schools based on your LSAT and GPA.

    Under the “Approved Schools” section, the LSAC site has prepared a 2-page data sheet for each of the 179 ABA-approved law schools, providing more information than what the schools are willing disclose to the applicants, so read these data sheets, and use them.

    Ever wonder, say, how many full tuition scholarships Duke gives out per year? Voila! This PDF file tells you that Duke has 13 full scholarship recipients, which translates to about 4 per year. Also in the same PDF document, you will see that Duke graduated 226 J.D.’s last year. 223 found employment while the other 3 continued to pursue other graduate degrees. A very impressive record and more informative than the dry 98.3% employment rate you see in other publications.

  • lawschoolnumbers.com: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

    Quote from the site: “a FREE, publicly accessible database of user-supplied J.D. applicant information with the (foolish) intent of helping other applicants judge their chances in the upcoming Law School admission cycle.” A very useful site where applicants enter their stats and application outcome. There are also tools to help you analyse admission trends and timelines at each school.

    A word of caution: some law school admissions staff are known to check this site from time to time, so make sure your stats and description aren’t detailed enough to readily identify you.

  • Forums:
    • xoxohth: http://www.xoxohth.com/main.php?forum_id=2

      Highly popular among law school applicants and current law students. Contains a huge amount of useful information. However, it suffers from the occasional onslaught of hate posts, but most have learned to ignore those. During the admissions season it has a daily mailcall thread where people report their findings at their mailboxes.

      This board is also highly elitist, perhaps due to the fact that most people who post are either current or prospective (immature) T14 students. So keep that in mind when you peruse through the threads and don’t be discouraged if they claim Michigan is in decline or Berkeley is a big mess or anything outside of T14 is a waste of time.

      Also a word of caution: some school officials (Penn and Michigan, in particular) also know about this site and sometimes read these threads for whatever reason.

    • Lawschooldiscussion.org: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org

      Another very popular board, although in contrast to the predominantly witty and sarcastic xoxohth, lawschooldiscussion is a bit too warm and fuzzy, so much so that “a 150 LSAT is great, every school is great, everyone is great, everything is great.”

    • Nontradlaw: http://www.nontradlaw.com/

      As its name suggests, this is a board populated by non-traditional law students, i.e. those who have worked a few years (sometimes too many years) before applying to law school.

    • A few law boards in Chinese:

      Totoo: http://www.totoolaw.com/forum/list.asp?boardid=201

      ChaseDream: http://forum.chasedream.com

      Laws4u: http://www.laws4u.net/ I downloaded some LSAT tests from there.

  • The BCG Blue Book (PDF): http://www.bcgsearch.com/BCGbook_2003_blue.pdf

    Once you get into law school you will need to worry about your class ranking, law review, etc. Grades and class ranking are of paramount importance in law school, so this book comes in handy when you’ve received your grades and wonder where in the class do you stand. Not all schools disclose ranking information, so this book can help you out, and most importantly, your potential employers will probably be reading this book as well when looking at your transcript.

  • Chiashu Calculator: http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html

    Enter your LSAT and GPA and get a list of probabilities that a student with the given gpa and lsat score will get into the law school. Take it with a grain of salt, however. There is no meaningful difference between a 64.1328750623% and a 61.223452345% chance, and people have been reporting that they got into schools where the Chiashu calculator gave them a 30% chance but are rejected by schools where they have a 70% shot.

  • Update: http://accepted.typepad.com/admissions_almanac/law_school_admissions/index.html

Comments (4)

  1. xiaoningning

    BCG has 2004 version.

  2. littlenorth

    hmm I am not seeing it here: http://www.bcgsearch.com/erc/guide.html. It still links to the 2003 version. Any pointers as to how to get the latest version? Thanks!

  3. xiaoningning

    http://www.bcgsearch.com/bcgguide.pdf
    this is 2004 version.
    http://www.bcgsearch.com/crc/book/intro.html
    here is the online version of 2003. it seems like there is no 2004 online version. i believe they will have 2005 version soon. usually they come up with the new version after usnews releases the new one.

  4. Pingback: 我的LLM和JD申请经历和经验 (三) « Laws, Lawyers and MORE

Comments are closed.